Food and Beverage

Whether your dream is to open a fine dining restaurant, brew house, a deli for busy lunch-goers or a local coffee shop/hang-out spot, follow this recipe for startup success in Kennewick.

  1. Food and Beverage Zoning

    Use the City of Kennewick's Zoning Map application to enter your business address and find out what it is zoned. This zoning determines what type of business activity is allowed at your location.

  2. Commercial Building and Site Requirements

    Once you’ve verified your business location is zoned for retail sales, you’ll work with the City’s Planning, Building, Public Works and Fire divisions to get approval to open.

  3. Health District and Liquor Approval

    Your business property meets city building, fire and water pretreatment (grease trap) codes. It’s time to check in with other agencies that play a role in your business license approval process.

  4. Fats Oils Grease (FOG) Pretreatment

    All food service establishments, including coffee shops, are required to pretreat their wastewater for fats, oils and grease (FOG). Pretreatment devices can be smaller grease traps located indoors, or larger grease interceptors located outside. These devices must be connected to collect all wastewater form 3-compartment sinks, floor sinks, floor drains, mop sinks, and prep sinks.

  5. Business Licensing

    Information on how to obtain a business license in the City of Kennewick.