Pool / Spa Draining

Pool Fill

The City does not fill pools. There are two ways to fill your pool: use your garden hose or rent a hydrant meter from the City. A fire hydrant meter cost is $485, $85 of which is nonrefundable. Depending on the pool size in gallons, more often than not, it is more cost effective to fill a pool with a garden hose. While it is preferable that the resident fill their pool with a garden hose, residents may rent a fire hydrant meter. They must obtain or rent a fire hose from somewhere else (2 - 3 inch) and supply a proper fire hydrant wrench. The final bill for consumption is based on current water rates and a prorating of the base fee. Call 509-585-4419 for more information.

Information to Help You Drain Your Swimming Pool or Spa How Do I Drain My Pool or Spa Water?

The City recommends that pool or spa water be disposed of by one of two methods. The preferred method is to discharge to your sanitary sewer clean-out. An alternative method is to discharge to a soil surface or lawn area on your own property. You will need to make sure that discharges stay on your property. You will need to maintain a controlled rate to assure that discharge does not flow onto your neighbor's property. If you have a septic drain field, you will also need to be aware that excessive water applied to the area above your drain field could impact its ability to function properly.

How Do I Discharge to a Sewer Clean-Out?

Sanitary sewer clean-outs are typically located adjacent to your house on the sewer service line that connects your house to the City sanitary sewer. Water from your pool or spa can be pumped to the cleanout through a garden hose. A flow of less than 6 gal./min. is recommended. Higher rates may be possible, but will need to be verified to assure that your sewer service line is capable of handling a higher flow rate. The City's sewer ordinance requires that the pH be within the range of 5.5 to 9.5. You can contact your local pool chemical suppliers to get more information on adjusting the pH level.

Pool Draining Diagram

What Should I Do If I Can't Find My Sewer Clean-Out?

You may have to contact a plumber to assist you in finding your clean-out or to have one installed.

What Should I Do If I Don't Have a Sanitary Sewer Clean-Out or Do Not Have Sufficient Area to Keep All Discharges On My Own Property?

Discharging to a City street or unpaved ditch is acceptable as long as the following procedures are followed:
  • Chlorine levels in the water to be discharged shall be below 0.1 parts per million. Chlorine levels drop naturally over time so you can either quit adding chlorine at least 7 to 10 days prior to when you plan to drain your pool or spa, or contact your local pool chemical supplier to obtain chemicals that will speed up the de-chlorination process.
  • Piping must not be installed permanently and it is required to be removed following the discharge. A flow of less than 6 gal./min. (typical garden hose) is recommended. Care must be taken in placing the temporary piping so that it does not result in a hazard to pedestrians, bicyclists or motorists.
  • The water being discharged must not be cloudy or discolored and must be free of algae and contaminants.
  • You must monitor the discharge to make sure that it stays within the confines of a drain channel or curb line of a paved street. The discharge shall not cause any erosion. You are responsible to assure that the discharge does not flood or damage private or public property. Do not discharge during periods of wet weather or if rain is forecast in the next 3 to 5 days. Do not discharge anytime when the temperature is less than 36 degrees F (2C).