Kennewick Today & Tomorrow
We Are Growing!
Between 2000 and 2014, Kennewick's experienced amazing growth. The city's population increased by over 23,000 people, or 42%. This is about the same level of growth as the Benton-Franklin County region (42%), and much higher than the 17% growth for Washington State as a whole
It is expected that we will continue to grow at about the same rate, adding 33,754 new residents by 2037, an increase of about 43%. Planning for this growth is the function of the Comprehensive Plan.
Improving Opportunity & Prosperity
Kennewick has seen gains in education and income over the past 15 years, yet more people are living in poverty. Changes with income and education include:
- Median household income has risen, from roughly $41,000 to $52,000.
- More residents have a high-school diploma or equivalent today (86%) than in 2000 (83%). We are still below the state average of 90%.
- More Kennewick residents are living in poverty today (18%) than in 2000 (13%). Statewide the average is 13.5%.
Kennewick is a community of families with children and a growing Latino population.
Population growth includes:
- Kennewick's Latino population has grown from 15% of the population in 2000 to about 25% of the population today. This is more than double the state average. Approximately 20% of residents speak a language other than English at home.
- Approximately 28% of Kennewick's population is under 18 years old, compared to 23% for the state.
Tri-Cities Employment Trends
- Employment in the Benton - Franklin area has grown nearly 20% between 2005 and 2014, with over 18,000 new jobs in the region. The largest sectors today include government, health care, agriculture, and retail trade. Fastest growing industries include education, health care, transportation/warehousing, and wholesale trade
- The Comprehensive Plan helps determine where new employers can locate and the infrastructure available to serve new workers. The City has sought to attract new industrial jobs and to increase the amount of industrial-zoned land.