Step 3: Apply for Building Permit
Do I Need to Apply for a Building Permit for Additions to a Commercial Building?
Yes. All commercial projects that add square footage to an existing building require a building permit. The Building Safety Division can be contacted at 509-585-4561 for general information.
What Plans Do I Need to Provide to Have a Complete Submittal?
Generally, an application for a building permit includes:
(Note: Some plans or calculations may not always be necessary. You should contact the Building Safety Division for more specific information.)
- Plan review fee
- A completed Commercial Building Application (PDF)
- A completed Mechanical Application (PDF) (may be deferred)
- A completed Plumbing Application (PDF) (may be deferred)
- Building elevations
- A foundation plan
- A scaled floor plan (each floor)
- Floor ceiling assemblies
- Truss calculations (if applicable)
- Window and door schedule
- Sizes for headers, beams, girders, post and columns
- Stairway cross-section
- Washington State Nonresidential Energy Code Compliance
- Engineering and / or architectural stamped drawings (buildings >4,000 sq. ft.)
- One complete set of specifications (if applicable
- 3 sets of plans
When I Submit My Building Plans & Forms, Will I Need to Pay a Plan Review Fee?
A plan review fee is required at the time of submittal for all commercial projects. Please contact the Building Division at 509-585-4561 for the fee amount.
Where Do I Submit My Building Plans & Forms?
Building Safety Division
210 W 6th Avenue
Kennewick, WA 99336