Step 1: Determine Special Development Requirements

Is There Anything I Need to Do Before I Apply for a Building Permit?

Before you apply for your building permit, all commercial projects that are adding square footage to an existing building must obtain a land use approval. Prior to submitting a land use application, you should determine if the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if there are any special development conditions for your project. Please contact the Development Services Division at 509-585-4280 for general information.

Are There Any Other Agencies That I Should Contact for Information Pertaining to My Project?

Yes. You should contact your local utility companies for possible fees and requirements.

What Do I Need to Submit to Gain Land Use Approval?

You will need to apply for site plan approval before applying for your building permit. Site plans are reviewed to ensure that the project is in conformance with the City of Kennewick zoning ordinance and development standards. Generally, an application for land use approval includes:

  • Application fee
  • A completed application
  • Copies of a detailed site layout
  • Building elevations
  • A landscape plan
  • A lighting plan
  • A grading plan
  • And in most cases, a completed Environmental Checklist (PDF)

Where Do I Submit My Forms & Plans?

Online Permit Portal

In person-
Building and Development Services
City Hall
210 W 6th Avenue
Kennewick, WA 99336