Shoreline Master Program Periodic Update
City of Kennewick - WA Department of Ecology Joint Comment Period.
The City of Kennewick (Kennewick) and Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) are seeking comments on the City of Kennewick Shoreline Master Program (SMP) periodic review and proposed SMP amendments. The joint local/state public comment period will run from April 7, 2021 through May 6, 2021 at 5 p.m.
- Submit comments online: SMP Comment Form
- Submit comments via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit comments via mail: City of Kennewick, Community Planning, ATTN: Anthony Muai, 210 W. 6th Ave., Kennewick, WA 99336
Planning Commission Public Hearing on proposed changes to the Shoreline Master Program is scheduled for Monday, April 19, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. The hearing will be held using Zoom. You may access the meeting information by visiting the Planning Commission webpage.
Planning Commission Workshop - March 15, 2021
Virtual Open House - December 21, 2020
2021 Periodic Review
State law currently requires agencies to periodically review and update their local Shoreline Master Program (SMP) regulations and plans. The City of Kennewick is initiating this process in 2020 to be completed in 2021, as mandated by state law for all jurisdictions in Benton County. The Washington State Department of Ecology maintains a list of changes made by the legislature that affect the Shoreline Management Act (SMA) so that local jurisdictions can easily identify local regulations that need to be updated to be consistent with the SMA.
Shoreline in Kennewick
Kennewick's SMP defines how the shoreline areas of the City and its urban growth area will be managed. Lands within 200 feet of the Columbia River , and their associated wetlands, are subject to the policies and regulations of the SMP. Other intermittent streams and water bodies, such as Zintel Creek and Elliot Lake, are regulated by the city’s critical areas ordinance only. All properties must comply with the city’s zoning and comprehensive plan, and properties subject to the SMP must comply with critical areas as well.
- Draft KMC 18.68: Shoreline Management (March 15, 2021)
- Appendix A-1 Shoreline Map (No Changes)
- Appendix A-2 Critical Areas Regulations (Changes Proposed)
- Appendix A-3 Shoreline Inventory & Assessment Report (No Changes)
- Appendix A-4 Shoreline Restoration Plan (No Changes)
- Appendix A-5 Shoreline Cumulative Impact Assessment (No Changes)
- Appendix A-6 Clover Island High Intensity Special Area Plans (No Changes)
- Appendix A-7 KMC 18.66: Flood Damage Prevention (Changes Proposed)
- Appendix A-8 KMC 18.72: Clearing and Grading (Changes Proposed)
- Appendix A-9 KMC 18.24: Signs (Changes Proposed)
- Appendix A-10 KMC 4.08: State Environmental Policy Act (Changes Proposed)
- Appendix A-11 KMC 4.12: Permit Process (Changes Proposed)