July 4 River of Fire
The HAPO Community Credit Union River of Fire will once again light up the Columbia River in celebration of Independence Day on July 4th, but spectators can expect a few changes in Columbia Park.
The event, formerly managed by the Tri-Cities Regional Chamber of Commerce, has been picked up by the Tri-City Water Follies so families can continue to enjoy the decades-long tradition.
Columbia Park will open at 9a for the fireworks show parking. A $5 per car donation is requested to help the non-profit Tri-City Water Follies Association cover expenses.
- A Family Fun Golf Tournament at the Columbia Park Golf Course kicks off the fun with a shotgun start at 9a. Cost is $35 per team. Call 586-3111 to register.
- Food vendors and kids activities will be available at the east end of the park beginning at noon.
- The J&S Dreamland Express will be running throughout the day thanks to BNSF Railway.
- Live music starts at 3p, featuring Country Band Chris Loid and Green Light Polly and Stingray.
- A beer garden will be open across from the bleachers from 3p to 9:30p.
“The expanded fireworks extravaganza will feature the ultimate performance package with more light and power than ever before” Kathy Powell, Tri City Water Follies Event Director said. “Bigger, bolder, brighter truly epitomizes this years’ experience!” Spectators are encouraged to bring their favorite music device as the fireworks display will be synchronized to patriotic music being broadcast on KORD, 97 Rock, 98.3 The Key, KFLD & Hot 97.5.
Instead of using a barge anchored in the Columbia River west of the Blue Bridge, the fireworks will be launched from the Neil F Lampson pit area at the east end of Columbia Park. When organizers learned the barge couldn’t be used for the show, the fireworks company coordinated with supporting agencies to establish a site in which no people or cars will be allowed. As a result, vehicles entering from the east will be directed around the south side of the pond to parking areas. Spectators are encouraged to come early as part of the viewing area previously available will be closed. Parking is allowed only in designated areas.
For vendor and other information, call the event organizer, Tri-City Water Follies Association, at (509) 783-4675 or visit their event page.