Building Use Changes or Improvements

Building Use Changes or Improvements

When a business generates more traffic than the location's previous use, a Transportation Impact Fee is assessed to fund roads and maintenance. TIF rates are calculated by the Traffic Department 509-585-4419.

Requirements for exits, restrooms, parking, etc. as outlined in the International Building Code could change with a change of building use. Building Department 509-585-4561. 

Building permits are required for most improvements. To find out if a permit is required, refer to the Development Guide or contact the Building Department 509-585-4561.

Commercial Design Standards apply when the cost of remodeling or expansion is equal to or exceeds 50% of the current assessed value of the structure. For more information, contact the Planning Division at 509-585-4280. 

Compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Standards (ADA) is required for new construction and alterations, and is administered by the Building Department 509-585-4561.


Different types and sizes of signs are allowed in different zones, and outlined in the Sign section of the Zoning Code. For more information, contact the Planning Division 509-585-4280. 


Adequate and accessible parking for different business types and zones are outlined in the Parking section of the Zoning Code. Planning Division 509-585-4280.

Business Structure

Information on establishing or changing your business structure or registered agent is available from the Secretary of State 360-725-0377 or via e-mail.

Worker Safety

Washington State Department of Labor and Industries helps employers meet safety and health standards, administers the state's workers' compensation system. Their local office is at: 
4310 W 24th Avenue
Kennewick, WA 99336 
Or call 509-735-0100.