Ice and snow, take it slow! Don't crowd the plow!
Winter, and with it the potential of challenging winter driving conditions, is upon us. Protect yourself and your passengers. Allow extra time to reach your destination during inclement weather.
- Drive for conditions – slower speeds, slower acceleration, slower steering, and slower braking in winter conditions.
- Use your headlights.
- Don’t use cruise control.
- Four and all-wheel drive vehicles will not stop or steer better in icy conditions.
- Leave extra room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. And remember, big trucks take longer to stop.
- Slow down when approaching intersections, roundabouts, bridges, or shady spots.
- If your find yourself behind a snowplow, stay behind it until it is safe to pass. Remember that a snowplow driver has a limited field of vision. Stay back (15 car lengths) until you’re sure it is safe to pass or until the plow pulls off the road.